Saturday 24 March 2018

Delicious Spiced Carrot Cake

Hello everyone and happy Saturday! Today has been amazing here in Glasgow, sunshine all day long! And then a sliiiiiight shower, but we can take it...

And if you have a rain day, then why not rattle up a quick, simple, but more importantly de-friggin-licious carrot cake?

My favourite local cafe always has a handful of loaf cakes to choose from, they're not overly fancy, but always topped with delicious frosting and some sort of decor... And the flavours.... yum! But since I am eating vegan now, I have to make my own. I don't mind though, because this was a treat!

Delicious Spiced Carrot Cake
(Makes 1 loaf)


Cake:
1 large carrot, grated
120g brown sugar
3/4 cup apple sauce
90ml sunflower oil
185g wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Frosting:
4 vegan spread sticks
1 cup icing sugar
Juice of 1/4 lemon
(add more icing sugar if needed)

- Start by pre-heating the oven to 180C.

- Then in a bowl, mix the carrot, sugar, apple sauce and oil in a bowl and stir. In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients for the cake. Tip into the wet mix and stir until just combined - don't over work the mixture.

- Oil a tin, and spoon the mixture in and distribute evenly. Bake for 40-50 minutes; my oven is quite aggressive, so 40 minutes will do, but otherwise give it at least an extra 5-10 minutes.

- Once baked, allowed to cool aaaaaalmost completely until mixing together the butter cream and top the cake with it.

Now, your place smells great, you're hungry - and the kettle is waiting for you to brew a cuppa to accompany it....

I used Pure vegan spread which crumpled up a little, but the lush flavour is still there!

I hope you love it as much as I do, even Kev was convinced and agreed I can make this all the time if I feel like it, YAY!

Are you having a good weekend so far?
Here, I have been taking it easy... Kev and I went out for lunch today at a new cafe called Tulipane. We did the weekly food shop, and watched some TV.
On Monday I am starting work again, so I am just enjoying this weekend and taking it easy.

xox J

Original Recipe:
https://www.lazycatkitchen.com/vegan-carrot-cake/

2 comments:

  1. I start work on Monday too. Boo, back to reality.
    Did you top it with pistachios? Because that looks amazing! I totally agree with Kev, make this all the time. I think I could probably eat the whole loaf!!
    Have a relaxing weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too it off with pistachios! On my half anyway, cause Kev’s not a fan 😋 haha I finished my half in two days, but that was me behaving 😹

      I hope you give the recipe a go! The it has all those Autumnal and Wintery spices that we love 😃

      Enjoy your Sunday, and then tomorrow we’ll just power through the day 😉 x

      Delete