Tuesday 20 March 2018

Vegan Herby Breadsticks with Tomato Sauce

Hello all and happy Tuesday!

Thanks for stopping by! Today I thought I would share with you a nifty way of making garlic bread. After I made it I realised that it would have been better to put the herbs IN the dough along with garlic that youæd just fry off... So I will write that down in the recipe - because the garlic that I scattered on top burnt a little in the oven - still tasty, but I'd rather you learn from my mistakes than having the same thing happening *smiles*

Vegan Herby Breadsticks with Tomato Sauce
(Makes about 6)


Garlic Herb Mix:
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
1 tbsp olive oil

For the dough:
1 sachet dried active yeast
1 1/4 cup luke warm water (when you apply a drop to your skin, you shouldn't feel it)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cups spelt flour (I used 1 cup plain and 2 cups spelt)

Oil for brushing
1 jar of good tomato sauce (like a roasted red pepper and tomato pasta sauce, or you can make one from scratch!)

- Start by heating 1 tbsp oil in a small frying pan, and fry off the garlic for 1 minute until fragrant. Take off the heat and stir in the herbs - set aside.

- Now, mix your luke warm water with the brown sugar and the yeast. Stir until the lumps have smoothened out, and leave to sit for about 5-10 minutes until the mixture starts to form bubbles on the surface; this is the yeast doing it's thing!

- Tip in the flour, the salt and the oil, and stir to combine. Knead well for about five minutes, before swirl through the garlic and herbs. Shape into 6 even small breads, and cover with a clean kitchen towel for 50 minutes to allow the breads to rise.

- Pre-heat the oven to 200C, brush the loaves with oil and place them in the middle of the oven to bake for about 20 minutes.

- Heat your sauce through 5 minutes before the breads are done. And once out the oven, you can brush them with butter and sprinkle of garlic powder - if you want!


And that's it! The easies lil' loaves I have made in a while, and this was awesome to have right before a badminton session, I carbed up like a pro!


Today, I have taken it easy - run a few errands in this part of Glasgow, bought some prizes for a charity bake off I'm hosting for some friends next month, and met up with a friends for a little bit. Then came home, made dinner and chilled out! Hopefully I'll get a wee heads up for when I start working. Tomorrow Alphonse and I are going to the vets for his annual vaccination.
What have you been up to so far this week?


xox J

No comments:

Post a Comment