Friday 20 March 2015

Chickpea & Wannabe-Chicken

Hello and thank Faramir it is Friday!

This has been such a good week, and I hope it has by your end as well, been up to much? I just finished one out of three weeks of training, and passed that little test that we get, so - yarr! Right, let's move on to some much shall we?

Original recipe was topped with a piece of pan-fried trout, BUT I decided to top it off with a couple of Quorn fillets instead, and it was still a treat!

My chickpea craze continues and this time, we make a lovely tomatoey mash with it, I mean...why not, right?

Chickpea & Wannabe-Chicken
(Serves 1-2)


2 tbsp oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp (smoked) paprika
1/2 green chilli, finely chopped (or 1/2 - 1 tsp chilli powder)
225g chopped tomatoes OR 3 tbsp tomato purêe and a cup of water
400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 Quorn "chicken-style" fillets, or trout
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1/4 or 1/2 of a lemon, plus wedges to serve
Coriander leaves to garnish

- Heat oil in pan and soften the onion and garlic for about five minutes, before adding the spices, and some dried coriander - if you've got some.

- Now, add the tomatoes and chickpeas along with a splash of water and simmer over low heat to allow for the flavours to come together. I added my quorn fillets here to allow for them to defrost in the same process - saves time and effort, score!

- If you did the same sneaky step as I did, take out the fillets and put them aside. If you are preparing this dish with trout, you can pan-fry it with a little salt, pepper and oil for a few minutes on each side until cooked through.

- Mash the chickpea mixture, and add a little extra water if it is a bit too dry. Squeeze in lemon juice to your liking (I used 1/2 lemon) and season to taste with a little salt and pepper.

- Now, it is time to serve it up! Divide the mash between two plates, top with protein of choice, garnish with fresh coriander, and serve with some lemon or lime wedges on the side, et voilâ! Dinner is served, and it features chickpeas, yarr!


PS. Should you be one person only, and have made up a double portion - I can tell you that the chickpea mash tasted pretty darn sweet in a bun too! That was how I had it the second time around with leftovers.

Aaaand on Wednesday it happened... I finally got to see Dylan Moran -and I had no. flippin'. clue! My friend Anna had booked me for the Wednesday, telling me she had a surprise, and she got me all side-tracked: Asking if I liked dancing, telling me that we had to go by the Taco Mazama inside the trainstation and not outside it as we were going to take the train and go on an adventure! Little did I know, that she only meant two stops on the train, and down to the stage that is most famously known as the Armadillo....

This is what she handed me a little away from the venue...


Many a little happy dance was danced (so technically...she was right in mentioning dancing, it was somewhat relevant!). The show was fantastic, and I feel a little overwhelmed still, being a maaaassive Black Books and Mr. Moran fan. He also touched on the subject of vegetarianism, and so that is why I decided on this little number today. I am getting used to the vegetarian diet as well, so far it has been no problem (apart from having to stay away from marshmallows). But yeh, Dylan Moran's "Off the Hook" was amazing *speechless*.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend! I myself have planned to just take it easy, go to a friend's get-together tomorrow, and chill out. I had my first session back in the gym after over half a year today after work, and it felt amazing to actually have the energy to do it!

What have you got up your sleeve for the coming days?


Original course:
Good Mood Food, p. 85

- Jules

8 comments:

  1. Så gøy med en overraskelse :D Og så bra for deg at du fikk gjennomført treningsøkta, tipper det var deilig.

    Når det gjelder marshmallows må du bestille Dandies! De har dem på Veganlife og iHerb, smaker akkurat som vanlig marshmallows hvis ikke bedre! :D Har allerede bestilt en pakke til påskeferien ^^;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk for tips! Skal sjekke opp i det! Synes de marshmallowsene i Norge er så gode, så hvis de smaker like godt, så er det midt i blinken :D

      I morgen er det på møllen igjen, og jeg gleder meg allerede, er så godt og ha litt overskudd! Håper du har hatt en kjempefin helg :) xx

      Delete
  2. I am also on a chickpea craze!!! This looks like the perfect dinner! I have planned to make chickpea and chicken curry tonight, but now..I'm not too sure. Maybe I want this..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Cathleen, your comments always make me smile :) I am just looking for vegetarian main meals instead of what I would have made before :) I hope your dinner was a success regardless of what you ended up with, but I know what you are capable of :) x

      Delete
  3. Nom nom! Også DYLAN MORAN DA!!!! Misunnelig, en smule ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk Jane! Ja, vegetar mat er ikke dumt altså ;)
      Dylan er bare heelt konge, har du sett Black Books?
      Håper du har hatt en finfin start på uken :) xx

      Delete
  4. Oi, så snill venninne og fantastisk overraskelse! Utrolig snilt! Det er så gøy å overraske og å overrasket! Vi skulle egentlig til oslo fredag, men i siste liten ombestemte jeg meg og dro torsdag i steden. Uten å si det til K :D :D Da vi nærmet oss leiligheten sendte jeg han et bilde av S og meg i gata. Gjett om han ble overrasket :D

    Dette ser nydelig ut! Ikke noe problem å være veggis når man er så flink på kjøkkenet som den :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overraskelser er så fint! Var litt nervøs før eventyret vårt, men ble skikkelig overveldet og fylt av glede når hun ba meg lukke øynene og ga meg billetten <3
      Awww, likte at du overrasket Mister K også da :D Så skjønt, og er helt sikker på at dere storkoste dere :D

      Tusen takk for kompliment! Er godt det er stadig flere kjøtterstatninger på markedet også :) I går kveld laget jeg "pasta bake" med quorn chorizo istedenfor vanlig pepperoni, og det funket som en drøm :D

      God helg kjære deg! x

      Delete