Friday 22 November 2013

My Date with Mister Oat Porridge

...or porridge oat with dates if you like!

It has been a long long time since I last posted up a recipe for oat porridge, and for that I do apologise, it's just that after my 9-ways-with-porridge post, I thought that included most of what there was to tell. It is one of those breakfasts or snacks that is easy to experiment with. Originally this recipe called for prunes, but I decided to go for dates instead.

Dates, dates are used in many recipes, and now recently has become incresaingly popular to use in vegetarian, vegan and raw dishes as a sweetner, and to help get a firm base for cakes, snackbars, you name it! They also contain a lot of important nutrients, so why not chuck a few of these into you oatmeal?

First time I heard that most people used SALT in the oat porridge here in Scotland, I just gave them a funny look.I tried it once and added a little more than a pinch, so it tasted like all I feared it would taste like. When I made this little number though, I literally added just a tinsy bit, and I didn't notice it!


My Date with Mister Oat Porridge
(Serves 1, about 200 calories, leaving you with a good margin to add what you like!)


40g oats
4-5 pitted dried dates
Water
Pinch of salt

(You can also cook this up with milk, if you prefer)

Toppings you can use:
Cinnamon, honey, sukrin/xylitol, dessicated coconut, chopped dark chocolate or nuts!

- Boil up water and pour over the oats in a little pan, along with the dates and salt. Keep adding water and stirrig frequently, until it has the texture you like. I only cooked it for about 5 minutes.

- Serve topped with your favourite toppings, perhaps a little dollop of yogurt as well? I had mine with a little bit of cinnamon, wheatgerm and a little bit of sukrin gold, but to be honest, I would have enjoyed it equally as much without the sweetner, thanks to the dates!


Original source:
Friske Vegetariske Oppskrifter, p. 89

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment