Wednesday 14 February 2018

Festive Cauliflower Patties (Vegisterkaker)

Hello!

I hope your week is going well so far!

When I was a child back home in Norway, I was never really into the Olympics... Then, I sat down the other night when I couldn't sleep and watched some... and guys - the Olympics fanatic in me has awoken! I have been watching quiiiite a lot of it, and the snowboarding especially has been fantastic!

Anyways, I thought I would give you a vegan twist to a Norwegian favourite - particularly over christmas, but I never had them for christmas as usually each part of Norway has a different christmas dinner tradition. So when I had these, I thought: I could genuinely have these a lot more often!

And the recipe is easy! You just need a little bit of patience. Instead of fancy rice flour, we are using cooked rice as an actual binder! I made them bigger than the original, but the recipe should make about 30-35 mini patties, I think I got about 12.

Just remember that they should be eaten within 2-3 days, and re-heat properly since there is rice in these patties. I had them mainly on their own with some sweet chilli sauce or ketchup, you can make a fancy sandwich for lunch, OR have as a side to a main meal, or as a starter.

Festive Cauliflower Patties (Vegisterkaker)
(Makes 30 small ones, or about 12 big ones)


Ingredients
200ml white rice + 400ml water + 1 tsp salt
1 large cauliflower, cut into small florets
200ml fast-cook oats
1-2 vegan vegetable stock cubes (or 1-2 topped tsp stock powder)
1 tsp ground ginger
About 1 tsp ground nutmeg
Pepper and salt to taste
Oil for frying

- Start by cooking the rice with the salt and water, until soft, which should take about 20 minutes.

- Boil the cauliflower for a few minutes and the drain off the water.

- Have the cooked rice, cauliflower, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, and use a stick blender to whizz to a rough paste.

- Shape into small patties, and fry in oil on medium heat until golden on both sides.



Et voila! Simple as that *smiles*

Original recipe can be found here.

Have you been watching the Olympics or tried these patties before?

I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day! I'm heading to the docs afterwards (fun, fun, fun!), but then I have badminton, and the last two episodes of Fargo Season 3 ahead of me... And probably some more Olympics, ha!

Take it easy!

xox J

No comments:

Post a Comment