Friday 20 December 2013

Courgette, Lemon & Rice Soup

In search of another little something to make and bring with me to work. Problem was that I decided it looked so good that I had half of it for dinner! Oh well, one batch to bring in for tomorrow it still pretty good, and the soup was delicious! In flavours, it reminded me a little of the avgolemono soup that I made a little while ago, but the rosemary added made it just a little bit different. I like them both a lot, and will definitely make this again!

In this recipe, it calls for over-cooking the rice so you break down the starch more and that's what makes it extra hearty, I really like the combination of flavours and textures as well, mmmm!

Courgette, Lemon & Rice Soup
(Serves 2, about 165 calories each)


1l vegetable stock
50g uncooked rice
1 small onion (or a half), finely chopped
1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 tsp dry rosemary, or 2 sprigs
1 courgette, washed and grated (about 200g)
Juice and peel of 1/2 lemon
Salt and black pepper to taste

- Start by boiling up water and adding the stock, rice, onion, rosemary and garlic to the pan with a little pepper (I used about 1/2 tsp whole black peppers). Cover and simmer until the rice is cooked + 10 minutes.

- Now, add your courgette and lemon zest (not the juice), and cook for a further five minutes, adding a little stock if you think the soup is too thick. Season to taste and right before serving stir through the lemon juice. And enjoy! This would go perfectly with a quick wholemeal soda bread baguette - just saying *winks*



Also, the other day, my friend Anna brought me a little present and some candied almonds! I tried some of the almonds last night, and they were heavenly! I love how they sound when clashing together with that crisp caramelised sugar on the outside. So good! And my flatmate placed a stocking randomly on the guitar stand in the living room. I thought this would make a nice christmas photo! Today is my last day before the holidays, and I cannot wait! Do you have any plans for the coming week?


Original source:
Delicious Low-Fat Recipes, p.45

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment