Originally this recipe called for fish, but I decided to swap it for peppered quorn steaks, and you know what? T'was no problemo at all! When it was ready, I let my new flatmate try some, and he said that maybe even he could become a vegetarian, so that is a good sign, right?
Kedgeree Pillowed Quorn Steaks
50g rice, or 100g cooked
200g bag spinach
2 handfuls of cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
A pinch of nutmeg
2 peppered quorn steaks
- Start by cooking the rice if it isn't already done, I used basmati that cooked in about 20 minutes in water with a little oil and a pinch of salt.
- In a medium casserole, wilt the spinach for a few minutes, stirring constantly until wilted, making sure not to burn it. Set aside to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Now, in the casserole with the spinach, add the cooked rice eggs and a good handful of cheese.
- In a medium oven dish, spread half of the spinach mix at the bottom, place the two peppered quorn steaks over and then spoon over the rest of the mixture. Sprinkle over a generous handful of grated cheese, a light sprinkle of salt and bake for 35 minutes until cooked through. 20 minutes in, you can add 6 vine-ripened tomatoes so that they get nice and cooked.
- Serve on it's own, or with a side salad and enjoy!
Also! I repotted my avocado plant the other day - exciting times, I know! At 1 and a half year old, it is looking a little like this now:
Aint it purrdy?
So this weekend could not come quick enough, and I am exhausted, so just having a quiet evening today, but tomorrow I will have some friends around, and on Sunday it is Norway day! 17th of May is the National day of Norway, so I will head through to Edinburgh for the annual parade, veggie hot dogs and ice cream, cannot wait! What do you have on the agenda for the next couple of days? I hope you have a great time either which way! x
Good Mood Food, p. 130