Wednesday 3 December 2014

Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

In about nine hours' time eighteen years ago, my little sister came to this world, and I just wanted to wish her happy birthday here:
Happy birthday Camilla! I remember waiting for the phone to ring as my granny was looking after me. In the middle of the 6 o'clock children's TV it did, and I got the news that my baby sister had come to the world healthy and happy. I was such a proud big sister, so happy to be able to share years to come with her (although she could be a little annoying, but then I had to tryyyy and remind myself that that comes as part of her role to, haha) *smiles*
It might be seven years between us, but for the last years it really doesn't feel like it, she's such a wee grown-up now! And thus, we need cake! Cupcakes no less.

I had a discussion with a friend at work the other day, about... the slices of cakes, yup, I kid you not! We were talking about how sometimes, we can be put off if the slices in cafês are too big (although at home, we'd happily have several smaller slices, adding up to at least a ridiculously large piece all in all, funny that...)
Anywho, we came to the conclusion that is better to have access to several little slices or pieces, with the option for a second one instead of ginormous mountains of it, don't you think?

And that is why I love cupcakes so much! You can easily have a couple of these, AND they're gluten and sugar free as well, but you would never have guessed it, as they are deliciously sweet and creamy with the cream cheese frosting!

Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
(Makes 6)


1 banana, mashed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
20g vanilla protein powder
20g coconut flour OR ground almonds (I used 1 tbsp of both)
3 tbsp xylitol/sukrin gold/brown sugar
3 drops stevia chocolate (optional)

Frosting:
100g light cream cheese (I used Philadelphia's lightest)
3 tbsp xylitol/sukrin gold
A squeeze of lemon (optional)

- Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC.

- Whisk all the ingredients together well, and once it's a little fluffy, divide them between six cupcake cases. Place them in the middle of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.

- Allow for them to chill properly before making the icing. Then mix the (icing) "sugar" (xylitol) and the cream cheese and optionally a squeeze of lemon juice, until combined. Pipe or spread the frosting out evenly over the cupcakes and chill before serving.


I find that the cream cheese frosting tastes better if it's allowed to "mature" in the fridge for a few hours or even overnight! Don't you?


Original source:
Sunn & Sterk med Proteinrik Mat, p. 38

- Jules

8 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! Perfect for a birthday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurra for lillesøster! jeg har en storesøster og to "små" brødre. Søsken er så koselig!!
    Disse høres supergode ut. Jeg vil bli flinkere til å bruke kokosmel, men synes så mange oppskrifter med det også bruker egg.
    God torsdag til deg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Så koselig med tre søsken'a gitt! Når jeg var liten ønsket jeg meg alltid en storebror også, meeen det ble jo litt vanskelig siden jeg kom først uansett, haha :P
      Kokosmel suger til seg masse væske, så ville eventuelt blandet det med annen tørrvare også, men jeg er sikker på om du bruker kokosolje i tillegg så blir det vel så bra som med egg :) Fettsyrene er vel det som gjør baksten deilig og saftig? Bare gjetter :) Håper du har en fortryllende desember aften :) xx

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Camilla. I love your name. Now have your sister send me some cupcakes. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Happy Birthday to your little sis!! I always wanted a sister. Instead, I have an older brother who didn't want to have anything to do with me while we were growing up (I guess I was annoying to him, too lol!!)
    Another simple, grain free recipe from you -- love it!! So - is that chocolate flavored stevia you used? I haven't used stevia in ages and I wouldn't be surprised if they make flavored stevia now haha!!
    Simple cream cheese frosting always works for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love my little sister to bits! As soon as she learnt how to crawl and walk when she was a toddler, she stole all of my precious things, but she has since stopped doing that, hehe :P Big brothers are OK ;) I have a couple of cousins who used to be like big brothers to me when we were younger. I was easy to wind up, so I totally know what you're talking about, hah!

      You can get flavoured stevia drops now yeh, I used chocolate here, but I also have vanilla crême which I prefer in most baked goods, but I am sure a teaspoon of either agave or maple syrup would do the trick :) xx

      Delete