Good morning, and happy Wednesday. Has the week been good to you so far?
I was to the dentist yesterday (stupid wisdom tooth is being none-the-wiser and giving me grief! Hopefully it'll be better in a couple of days' time...) aaaand my friends and I won the pub quiz, so it has been a mixed week to say the least, but over-all a sociable and good one, and the weather has been magnificent, sunshine all around!
It had been forever and a daaaay since I had made banana bread. I came across a recipe for CHAI bananabread, and I had no option - I had to make this!
I used xylitol instead of sugar to make it a little lighter, but you can of course use brown sugar instead!
This is super simple, and the key to any good banana bread? To cook it over slightly lower heat and do NOT open the door to the oven until it's ready, as then you might risk it to turn to mush, and we don't do that. You can serve ths simply topped with an icing sugar glaze, or serve it topped with some butter and perhaps a little bit of syrup or a sprinkle of sugar? Delicious!
Chai Banana Bread
(Makes 1 loaf)
3 ripened bananas (spotted/slightly brown), mashed
2 heaped tbsp Greek yogurt or quark
3 tbsp butter
2 large eggs
1/2 cup xylitol/sukrin gold or brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
Cooking spray/oil (I used 1 tsp coconut oil)
1/3 cup icing sugar (or sukrin icing sugar)
1 1/2 tsp milk/lemon
Few drops vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C.
- In a baking bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients well, then add your butter, vanilla extract, yogurt, eggs, and mashed bananas. Stir well to combine.
- Grease a normal loaf tin with cooking oil (coconut/sunflower/rapeseed), before pouring the batter into the tin or dish. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 60-65 minutes.
- Take out on a rack to cool (still in the tin) for at least 10-15 minutes. I am a little too impatient to let it cool almost completely.
- Drizzle over the icing sugar glaze, or simply serve on it's on with butter and sugar or syrup on the side, and enjoy!
Have you ever tried to make banana bread but adding something extra? This here was the first one of mine apart from the normal banana bread I usually make (SO good with walnuts added!). I hope you have a great day *smiles*