Saturday 14 December 2013

Coco-Nutty Granola

I don't know how long I have been planning to make my own home made granola! Several recipes have been written down, but for some reason I have thought that I don't have the time for it.
So I decided something had to be done, I wanted a way to make my normal yogurt breakfast more filling, and yet more granola recipes showed themselves and I could not wait any longer!

Little did I know that it only takes about five minutes to mix together, and then for the next 40 minutes and a bit, the job basically does itself! I love nuts, and currants, and coconut! Not to mention cinnamon and citrus fruits, so I took a basic recipe and used that as my guidance for measurements, and then I made a few adjustments based on what I felt like really! Swapping some of the sweetning with a little fruit juice for a bit of zing, for example, and it turned out a treat *smiles*. I might have been stuck indoors with the cold on a Friday evening, but I managed to be productive even so!

Also, if you are needing a christmas present in a hurry, then this would make a lovely gift if put in a jar with a ribbon tied around it! Also check out Peppernøtter, Coconut Macaroons, Gingerbread biscuits, Red Onion & Fig Reduction, and Apple & Cranberry Chutney. If baking, you can leave this for a couple of days prior to christmas, the granola and preservatives will keep a little longer!

Coco-Nutty Granola
(10 servings â 40 grams, about 160 calories each)


150g oats
25g almonds, roughly chopped
25g walnuts, roughly chopped
50g unsweetened dessicated coconut
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
50g dried currants (or blueberries, cranberries etc)
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
3 tbsp honey (I used acacia)
Juice of 1 tangerine
A few tablespoons water (2-3)

- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C.

- In a small baking bowl, mix all your dry ingredients (currants included!) together.

- Whisk the egg whites and add the honey, tangerine juice and a splash of water, pour into the oat mixture and stir well.

- On a baking paper clad baking tray, pour in the mixture and pat down. Make sure it is all somewhat sticking together to make sure you get some nice clusters in there!

- Place it in the middle of the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, until crisp and golden. It might need a few more minutes, but that you can check when the time comes. I bet your flat never smelt so good!


- Cool completely, before breaking into bits, making it as clusterful as you like! Serve on top of yogurts, porridge, or with milk! Depending on how you feel, you can also add more dried fruit or chopped fresh fruits when serving too!

It looked like a work of art!



Original source:
http://rdeliciouskitchen.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/the-secret-ingredient-to-make-perfect-granola/

- Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment