Saturday 21 September 2013

Barley, Chickpeas & Walnuts

Finally, another vegan recipe to share!
OK, so I did a big mistake and assumed we had a food processor that worked, turns out - we didn't and so what was meant to be a pesto had to be a small handful of ingredients going into the pot along with the rest of the dish. It still came out wonderfully though, and I really enjoyed it! If you have a blender of sorts though, please take an extra couple of minutes of your time and make the pesto, I will do that next time when I make it for sure!
I decided to bulk the dish up with some mushrooms, and add some soy sauce, white wine vinegar and chilli powder to it, as I do quite enjoy my spicy food - turned out well!

One of the best things I find with the vegan diet (I'm not a vegan myself, but enjoy most vegan dishes that are put in front of me) is that it usually include a lot of nuts to get all the nutrients necessary, delicious!

Barley, Chickpeas & Walnuts
(Serves 2, about 500 calories each)

Who says vegan food is boring?! I love the crunch from the walnuts, mmm

75g dry barley
300g tin chickpeas
Salt & black pepper
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder (optional)
1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar (optional)
Two glugs of light soya sauce
200g small white mushrooms, halved

For the pesto, unless you just toss it all in the pan:
50g walnuts
1 packed cup basil
1 tbsp olive oil
A dash of cold water

- Start by cooking up your barley in about 400ml water on medium heat, this can take 20-30 minutes until they're tender. I am sure you can get fast cooking barley like stated in the original recipe though! I just haven't seen it anywhere. As it was cooking, I went and got myself freshened up!

- If making a pesto seeing as you might have a functional blender... Do this now! Chuck nuts, basil, oil and water into a blender and whizz until smooth. You can also add a bit of garlic to it if you feel like adding that little extra something to it.

- Then, drain and rinse the chickpeas before adding them in with the barley. Add salt, pepper and some soy sauce to taste, and the chilli powder and vinegar if you're using that! You want the vinegar to burn off the immediate acidity. *Smiles* You can really play around with this dish. Remember to add a little more water if it evaporates too quickly.

- Add the mushrooms and pesto, or toss all the pesto ingredients into the pot and cook for another five minutes. Season to taste aaand it's ready to serve! Garnish with basil leaves, and tuck in!

Also, I was nominated for a Liebster blog Award! This is basically a sort of blog questionaire, aaaand it will be featured here on my blog in the very near future!
I hope you are having a great Saturday! Any plans?


Original source:
http://www.eatwellwithjanel.com/barley-and-chickpeas-with-basil-walnut-pesto/

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment