Sunday 25 November 2012

Instant Coffee Cupcakes

....are simple yet O so delicious!

Because what is one to do if you have eggs that need used, and dinner has already been had? Make these of course! I didn't know this until last night though, when I visited my good friend Lucy who had made a batch of these, and I got my teeth in one.

Instant Coffee Cupcakes
(Makes 12, about 160 calories each, icing included)


170 g butter
100 g sugar
170 g flour (I used 50 g plain and 120 g wholemeal)
3 eggs
Instant coffee, I think I mixed about 1 tbsp of Nescafe Gold, with a little bit of boiling water. I poured almost all of the mix in. Fingers crossed I'll sleep tonight!
I also used 1 tsp each of bicarbonate of soda and baking powder.

Icing:
Approximately 40-50 g icing sugar
Half a tsp of vanilla extract
A few tbsp of water

- Pre heat the oven, 150°C.

- Cream the butter and sugar in a baking bowl. Then add flour and egg, one third of each at a time and stirring well before adding more.

- As soon as this is done, pour in the instant coffee, and mix until the batter has gotten a nice dark, even colour.

- Bake in the oven until risen and "golden", or a darker shade of brown if you will! I like for them to have a definite coffee taste to it.

- Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes, before making the icing. Make sure it is quite thick, so it doesn't run all over the place! Spoon over a teaspoon worth of icing, and decorate with a sweet if you like! I wanted to add nuts on top, but didn't incase anyone who wants one is allergic - maybe next time!


Ta dah!

Original source:
Lucy

*respectful bow*

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment