Look what I found the recipe for - courgette fritters!
I adjusted the recipe a little bit; In fear of the mixture not sticking together, I added an egg, and I swapped the plain flour for wholemeal flour and a handful of oats!
(Makes 8, 90 calories each)
1 courgette, grated, placed in a colander, salted with 1 teaspoon, leave to sit for 30 minutes.
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
Fresh handful of coriander, chopped
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
30 g wholemeal flour
40 g oats
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
2-3 tbsp oil for frying
- As the courgette is left to have the juices run off, do all the preparations with the other ingredients.
- After the half hour has passed, squeeze off as much of the water as your mighty muscles are able to!
- Have all the other ingredients in a bowl and mix well, before adding the courgette.
- Heat up oil in a pan on medium high heat, and make sure it is all mixed properly before shaping small patties with your hands. It's gonna be a bit messy, but hopefully worth it! Fry in the pan for a few minutes on each side until they're golden and slightly crisp on the outside. Place on some kitchen roll on a plate to let it soak up some of the excess oil before serving.
- Enjoy as a starter, or to accompany a main meal, scrumptious! I tried mine with sweet chilli sauce, one with soy sauce, and another one with ketchup. They all went really well with it, but I would say the sweet chilli sauce was a winner!