Monday 6 January 2014

Animal Friendly Corn & Mushroom Stew

...in other words - vegetarian, or vegan even!

Originally this recipe was a soup, but I upped the amount of vegetables and used slightly less broth as I like my soups hearty, and what it turned into was three delicious bowls of stew!

Animal Friendly Corn & Mushroom Stew
(Serves 2-3, about 220-145 calories each)


1 tbsp soy sauce
1 small onion, chopped
200g potatoes, diced
100g tomatoes (I used baby plum), chopped
500ml vegetable stock
140g sweetcorn from tin (or fresh of course!)
150g plain mushrooms (I used button mushrooms), halved, sliced or quartered!
100ml soy milk
Black pepper and salt to taste (optionally more soy sauce)

- Start by having 1 tbsp soy sauce in a medium-sized pan, soften the onion for a few minutes. Then, tip in the potatoes, tomatoes and pour over the stock, grind in some black pepper, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes - until the potatoes are tender.

- Now, add your corn, mushrooms, aaaaand soy milk, heat through for five minutes or so, until the corn and mushrooms are heated through. Season to taste, and ladle up! You can serve this with some lovely seeded bread, would compliment a soup like this!

I spent most of my Saturday (After having bought a new jacket, radiator and kettle - the excitement was up in the roof...as you can imagine....Haha) making up a diet plan (And by diet, I mean how to maintain weight, not putting on or getting rid of) for a vegetarian-to-be over the course of one week. I probably spend around niiine hours or so working on it, and I still am not done with it yet. A little over half way though, phew! This dish however, was made before the whole diet plan, but I took a lot of inspiration from the blog, and have used a lot of recipes from it so far!

Next up, I miiight just have a pancake recipe up my sleeve for you...just maybe *winks*


Original source:
Has been lost, I found it in the spindly interwebs somewhere though!

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment