Sunday 3 November 2013

Nutty Apple Overnight Oats

I have seen many an overnight oat recipe on blogs recently, but then I came across this one that used a teaspoon of chia seeds in it to get a slightly different consistency. Luckily, I found some reasonably priced chia seeds the other week, and I have been wanting to try them since. I thought this simple recipe would be a great starting point!

It seemed to not have enough yogurt for the recipe, and so I also added a dash of water and mixed it well together, it turned out super rich and creamy! Aaaaand don't worry, you can leave out the chia seeds if you don't have any, but it does add some extra goodness to it. The consistency is almost pudding-like, I might make a few of these ahead of time for the mornings to come *smiles*
The first time, I added about 50ml water but you can add 100ml as well, as the oats will soak it all up regardless and lease you with a smooth, almost silky breakfast with a bit of crunch on top of course! These will keep in the fridge for a couple of days, so you can make them ahead too!

Nutty Apple Overnight Oats
(Serves 1, about 200 calories)


30g porridge oats
90ml low fat or fat-free vanilla or apple yogurt
1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
Splash of water
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 apple, chopped
2 tbsp chopped walnuts (about 5 halves)

- Pour the oats, yogurt, chia seeds and cinnamon into a 225ml jar or other sealable container, mix carefully but well, and add a splash of water (about 50ml) until you have a nice thick, but creamy mixture. Refrigerate over night!

- The next day, take out the porridge and top with chopped apple and nuts! Sprinkle with a little bit of extra cinnamon or nutmeg if you like, and tuck in!

Also, yesterday I had been thinking about not going for my weekly Sunday shopping, as I knew I had a lot of storecupboard goodies, as well as having bought a few things the other day. I sat down and wrote down everything I had the ingredients for, and look what I found!



That's right! About 80 recipes for all sorts of delicious things, mmm! Of course if I make some of them, that will make me run out of certain ingredients, so I wont be able to make it all, but that is still pretty good, don't you think? So if you're close to pay day, or just trying to live for less, have a good look around to see what you already have, and I am sure there will be a delicious recipe for something right around the corner!


Before it's too late, I'd also like to add a picture of one of my two contributions to a "pot-luck" dinner my friend hosted the other day, where everyone ha to bring something along. There was everything from Pumpkin shaped haggis puff pasties to sweets and sushi! I couldn't find mini Oreo biscuits, so I had to improvise and cut most of them in half - what a challenge!

Would you like for me to put up the recipe for the angry owl cupcakes?
I hope you have had a lovely weekend, still a good bit left of it to go!


Original source:
http://www.quericavida.com/en/recipes/apple-crisp-refrigerator-oatmeal/

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment