Thursday 6 December 2012

Roasted Chestnuts

Feeling festive?
Well if you don't, turn on Disney's Chip'n'Dale (the christmas episodes, of course!) and get some chestnuts roasting! You don't need an open fire, just a functional oven.

On another note, I started making some christmas decorations out of paper the other day. I made a long chain for a tree that have yet to be purchased and brought home, AND I made a sort of weaved christmas heart - the one in the photo!


I didn't realise that I had used the colours of the Scottish flag until after I snapped this photo actually. It used to be my dad who made these when I was little, as my mind couldn't comprehend how to create such a masterpiece, and my dad is quite good when it comes to nifty little crafty things like that!

So! I had never tasted a chestnut until last week, but they are really tasty! I found a way of doing roasting them somewhere online - it was a post on a thread, and so it's kind of difficult to find a link to it. Anyway, I'll stop rambling and give you the recipe straight away!

Roasted Chestnuts
(Serving - as maaany as you like! These badboys are about 25 calories per nut)


- Place the nuts, flatside down, on a chopping board, and cut a cross on top of them with a knife. It doesn't matter if you cut the crosses a little deep, if anything, that'll just make them easier to peel!

- Pour some lightly salted water in a baking bowl (I used 60/30 cold water from the tap and boiling water from the kettle - don't think it'll make any difference though!), tip in the chestnuts and let them soak for about an hour.

- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, and place the chestnuts on a baking tray, with the flat side again facing down. Leave them to bake for about 15-20 minutes until they start cracking open.

- Now, when you've taken them out, peel them whilst they're still warm, as this is a whole lot easier! They should have a glazed yellowy colour to them.

*attempts tracking down her original source*

I FOUND IT!

Original source:
http://startcooking.com/how-to-roast-chestnuts

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment