Thursday 10 November 2016

Curried Hot Pot with Gnocchi

Boy, so since the last time things have changed... But let's not dwell on that eh?

It is getting ridiculously cold and Glasgow had its first snow of the year on Tuesday! Iæm more of a Summer/Autumny kind of person myself, so the cold weather is an excuse for something hearty.

With a twist this time, as you add a little curry powder or paste to give it that lovely spiced aroma - Yum!

I was having one of my best friendsover for dinner, and I hadno time to make dumplings from scratch - so I used gnocchi! Ready made, but they made a perfect addition to this dish, with a different texture. We ate, we watched That 70s Show and giggled like girls and polished off some caramel icecream with whisky and cream liquer - delicious!

Curried Hot Pot with Gnocchi

(Serves about 4)


1tbsp cumin seeds
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 litre vegetable stock
1 tbsp medium hot curry paste or 2 tbsp curry powder (I made my own emergency curry mix)
1 kilo vegetables (I used about 5 potatoes, 1 parsnip. 2 carrots, and 1 leek), diced
Juice of 1/2 lime
Black pepper
1 bag of gnocchi (I think they usually measure at 300-400g?)

Wholemeal pita bread to serve - toasted of course!

- In a large pot, dry fry the cumin seeds for a minute until fragrant, add the turmeric, ginger and tomatoes and stir for a further minute before adding stock, curry powder/paste and vegetables - add a bit of pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft.

- Now add the gnocchi and cook for as long as instructed, once done, turnthe heating off, stir through the lime juice. Toast the pita bread and serve! Apartfrom the chopping, this dish basically makes itself. Yum!

I hope you are having a great week so far! I myself managed to fall in the stairs in the hall quite badly andhadto go to the hospital for x-rays.... Thankfully there were no broken bones, but it hurtas hell! It will get better soon, but until then I just have to take it a liiiittle bit easier.

Oh! And last weekend I got to go to the BBC Good Food show here in Glasgow and I finally got a spiraliser! So hopefully I will have some nice light recipes coming up in the near future *smiles*

- Jules

Original recipe: Delicious Low-Fat Recipes, p. 103

4 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful, and we need some extra comforting food here in the US these days :/ And you're going to LOVE your spiralizer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! This was definitely the perfect comfort meal, although it might not be the most photogenic of dishes!
      I have used my spiraliser a few times, and it works a treat! Good workout for my arm too :P
      I hope all it well at your end :) xx

      Delete
  2. Mmmm spennende!
    Og gratulerer med spiralizer :) håper du får like mye glede av den som jeg har av min :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mange takk! Du har jo masse fine oppskrifter jeg kan prøve nå :D xx

      Delete