Sunday 24 May 2015

Onion Buckwheat Pancakes with Cheesy Filling

Hello, and happy weekend - so far, so good I hope?

The pancakes themselves are vegan, so if you want to drop the cheese and egg filling, this will work well with hummous, dips, sauces, chutneys - lots of options here!

The onions cut through the taste of buckwheat here I reckon, and these pancakes are really filling!

Onion Buckwheat Pancakes with Cheesy Filling
(Serves 1)


1 tsp oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 pinch of chilli powder (optional)
2/3 cup buckwheat flour
About 1 cup water
Good pinch of salt

Filling:
A handful of grated cheese
1 egg

- Start by heating the oil in a frying pan, and add the onions, fry for about 5 minutes until softened. Stir in salt and paprika, and a little bit of chilli - if you want.

- When the onions are frying, have the buckwheat flour in a bowl, and mix with water until you have a thick batter. Once the onions are done, add them to the batter.

- Heat a little extra oil in the frying pan, and make the first pancake. Because I added cheese, when the first pancake was cooked on one side and I flipped it, I put the cheese on top and covered it with a lid so that the cheese melted.

- Fry the second pancake, just on its own. In another frying pan - fry the egg, I cover it with a lid to hurry the process up a little bit, and so that the yolk is nice and runny - almost like a poached egg. Place on top of the first pancake, sprinkle with a bit of salt, and place the second pancake on top.

Serve whilst it is hot and enjoy the lovely melty cheese.


Do you have any other ideas to what would be a great combination for filling here? I would love to hear it!

I just finished watching the Eurovision Song Contest (as a Scandinavian...this is a tradition that I have to keep up, and that I not-so-secretly-secretly-like watching), So I jotted down a few favourites, and none of them made it to the top (Belgium, Latvia, Estonia etc), but I will tip my hat off to Sweden for winning. In all its tackyness, it has a certain charm to it, don't you think? I was really confused by Australia being in it this year, but as the theme was to "build bridges" I guess it might be a good a time as any, and they beat Norway hands down, so yeh!

The rain is pouring down here in Glasgow town, but I am crossing my fingers and toes that the weather will be nice tomorrow on my day off. Have you been up to much so far this weekend?


Recipe inspired by India - the Cookbook, by Pushpesh Pant

- Jules

6 comments:

  1. I have to admit I was confused too after hearing Australia was included, almost thought I misread Austria for a second haha :P These pancakes sound tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Haha, I don't mind though!
      Thankfully these turned out better than I thought! Great way of hiding veggies in the batter as well, but then again - onions are so tasty! :D x

      Delete
  2. Så spennende rett! Bokhvete er så anvennlig, så godt og så sunt! Gøy å finne nye retter man kan bruke det i!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mange takk kjære du <3 Ja, dette var godt faktisk :D Syns bokhvetepannekaker smaker best i "saltmat" variant etter jeg laget dette :) xx

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to try making something with buckwheat flour.. This looks amazing!
    And Glasgow is sounding like Vancouver when I lived there. I kind of miss the rain. It has been so sunny and humid here, so many people are getting burned! Luckily, I haven't yet... *knock on wood*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Buckwheat flour I find, can sometimes in sweet pastries have a little too much of a "buckwheat" flavour, but this batter here - it worked so well!

      Send some of the sunshine this way! I am currently looking out of the window and it is pouring down! I am sure the time spent in the kitchen saves you from getting sunburnt ;) x

      Delete