Tuesday 12 November 2013

Gold Top Apple Bake

I wanted something nice, something sweet, but not too much - just enough for it to taste like a dessert. First, I tried making a crumble based topping, but it didn't work, and then, I had an epiphany... EGG!
Yes, I made a baked egg dish with a lovely simple crusty top, and it was so easy to make too!

Gold Top Apple Bake
(Makes 1, about 170 calories each excluded nuts)


1 apple, grated
1/2 tsp "Autumn Spice", cinnamon or pumpkin Spice
1 egg white
1 digestive biscuit
Sukrin gold, xylitol or sweetner of choice
Chopped nuts, optional

- Pre-heat the oven to 180ÂșC.

- Grate the apple and mix half of the spice in with it. Then transfer the mix to a small oven proof dish. The one I used is approximately 5x8 centimetres.

- Now, mix the remaining ingredients, make sure to crumble the digestive veeery finely, I just used my hands for that. Whisk until a little bubble, and then pour over the appl, now top with chopped nuts if using, before baking it for approximately 25 minutes until golden and crisp on top. Enjoy! Maybe with some ice cream or vanilla yogurt on the side?


Now to the Autumn Spice...I have made pumpkin spice before, but not a whole jar of it. When I did, I discovered that sometimes nutmeg doesn't like me (or rather...I don't like it!) when I make certain sweet dishes.
Therefore, I thought I would swap the nutmeg for a bit of cardamom, to give it a bit of a milder taste, and now - I call it Autumn spice! You can use it for a lot of Wintery baked goods and dishes as well though!

Autumn Spice
(Makes 1 spice jar pictured)


3 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp cardamom
1 1/2 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves

- Mix it all together and tip in in a jar! You can use this spice mix for gingerbread cookies, "pumpkin spice" recipes, cakes and bakes and some savoury dishes. Add a pinch of pepper for an extra bit of kick!



- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment