Tuesday 28 August 2012

Vafler - Norwegian Waffles

Last christmas, the most precious thing I got was from my auntie, she had knitted me two pairs of thick wool socks and with it - I found my late grandmother's cook book. It was difficult to hold back the tears, both sad and happy.

You have got to understand - nothing beats my mother's waffles! Straight from the waffle iron with a dollop of strawberry jam, and my mind would take flight. Sadly, my mum has perfected this recipe and made it her own so much that she doesn't use measurements anymore. This is the reason I chose to put up the recipe I found in my grandmother's cook book. I found the recipe a little sweet, but it is a great basic recipe if you want something delicious with a nice cuppa, and adjustments can always be made!


Vafler

(Makes quite a few! Not had the chance to calculate the badness, but who cares - it's waffles!)


1/2 l milk
300 ml water
(or take 350 ml skimmed milk)
5 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cardamom
1 1/2 cup sugar
750 g plain flour
(A few drops of vanilla essence, or a tsp of vanilla sugar optional)

250 g melted butter set aside to cool

- Mix all the ingredients, except from the butter, well together to make the batter. Then set it aside to swell for at least half an hour.

- Then, stir in the melted butter until it is all mixed in, and the batter has got a nice smooth texture.

- Take a ladle full of the mix and pour onto the waffle iron and cook until it gets a nice golden colour.

- Serve with jam, preferably rasberry or strawberry, or; spread some butter on the hearts and sprinkle some sugar on top of it.

Enjoy!

Original source:
Mormor


-Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment