A Taste of Madness is safe to say one of my favourite blogs. Cathleen posted some wonderful Pear and Streusel muffins the other weeks - and I simply had to try them!
The weather last week... wasn't the best, so why not infuse the flat with cinnamon? Yes, please!
Instead of pear, I opted for apple since I already had them at hand, but I will make these time and time again - varying the fruity fillings! I can imagine adding sliced almonds to them as well, y'know - just to be fancy!
Fluffy Apple & Streusel Muffins
(Makes about 15)
2 cups flour (I used spelt)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
A good pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar (I use Half Spoon)
2 large eggs, lightly beat
1 apple (or pear), cored and finely diced
For the Streusel (where the magic happens)
1/3 cup sugar (preferably brown)
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1-2 tbsp butter, melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- In a bowl, apart from the sugar - mix together all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until it goes white, and then add your eggs, and vanilla extract. Make a well in the dry flour mix and pour in the butter. Stir well to combine before adding the apple and fold in gently, set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the streusel, until you have a crumbly or smooth mix (it really doesn't matter the consistency as it will almost sort of caramelise in the oven - yum!).
- Divide the muffin mixture between 15 cupcake cases (the larger ones you get, fill them up about half full). Then spoon over a little bit of the streusel on each. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes (mines took 20 minutes) until a toothpick comes out clean when you check it. Leave to cool slightly before serving. These are almost like a single serving cake, and when I bit into them, I though "This'd be amazing with ice cream!". So by all means... mmmm add ice cream on the side!
Today - I am currently in the middle of a MASSIVE cooking mission, because I am having a charity Foodie Fest to support Red Cross. I received the recipe pack and spices a few weeks ago, and noticed only one out of five recipes were veggie. When I mentioned that to Red Cross, they were really helpful and gave me ideas for substitutes for the meat - and you know what? All the food that I'm making will be vegan! Hopefully I get a few snaps of the dishes before they disappear, so far it all seems pretty tasty! I will keep you posted! Tomorrow, needless to say I will do nothing... Yesterday I went to see Suicide Squad with my boyfriend, it was really interesting to see a movie with no "good guys" and I enjoyed it, although the special effects was maybe a little too much - but cartoons were always about the POW and the SWOSH weren't they? Part of the charm methinks!
How is your weekend going so far?