Monday 29 February 2016

Warm Noodle Salad with Soy Beans

The sauce for this is absolutely deeeeeelicious! Almost creamy, but with a fresh bite from the ginger and the chilli, yum!

Warm Noodle Salad with Soy Beans
(Serves 2)


For the sauce:
1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp peanut butter + 1 tsp sesame oil OR 2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp SWEET tamarind paste (I think the unsweetened one is a little too risky, but you can use 1 tsp of the latter along with 1 tbsp brown sugar or agave)
2 tbsp soy sauce

100g noodles (they used rice noodles in the recipe)

1 tbsp sunflower- or vegetable oil
1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
150g soy beans or green beans
2 Spring onions,chopped
1/2 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (red if you like it hot!)
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (or 1/2 tsp dried)
2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped (or 1/2 tso dried)
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted for garnish (optional, I skipped it)
Salt to taste (optional, there's soy sauce in the sauce)


- Make the sauce in a bowl and set aside. Then, boil up water for the noodles and cook as instructed.

- Heat oil in pan and fry the garlic for a minute until fragrant. Drain the noodles and add to the garlic along with the sauce. Turn the heat down to low. Add the chilli, herbs, Spring onions, and beans and heat through.

- Garnish with the sesame seeds, and it is ready to serve!

I love how with a few extra ingredients, you can turn noodles into a lively bowl of goodness!

PS.I wish I was better at eating noodles with chopsticks, I had to use a fork for this! Next time, I might attempt it though. Practise makes perfect....

Yesterday, I enjoyed my day off, I took a trip to Krispy Kreme (a little tooo sweet for my taste, but that is not to say I wont go there again *cough*) and then - I got my Scandi on! Went to Ikea and bought a few bits and bobs for the flat, and got some snacks from the little food shop.

Today I had about half a bag of Gifflar at work..... *hangs head in shame*

.... back home in Norway, mum would always hunt down a bag of these, and they would last approximately five minutes.... It happens!

Today is the leap day year... The first ever for this blog actually, which is pretty cool! I had work, but I walked home, enjoying the crisp air, and then cooking up a hearty dinner *smiles* I hope you have had a lovely leap year day!


Original source:
Plenty, p. 198

- Jules

4 comments:

  1. Ooo, denne sausen høres SÅ god ut! Jeg pleier å bytte ut peanøttsmør med mandelsmør, og jeg vil tro det hadde vært godt her også!
    Jeg håper alt er bra med deg Julie! Selv sitter jeg å nyter stillheten og utsikten på min bittelille baby som sover på sofaen ved siden av meg <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mange takk! Ooooh, jeg har faktisk mandel smør i kjøkkenskapet :) Luddig!
      Alt bra her, på tross av slitsom jobb... Nå har jeg fri tre dager da, det blir godt! Skal på skotsk folkedans i kveld :D

      Så koselig og bare nyte freden og ha en liten en og klemme på :D Skjønninger! x

      Delete
  2. This noodle salad looks amazing!!
    I grew up using chopsticks...not because my family is chinese, but because the majority of the population where I lived was chinese. I feel like this would taste just as good with a fork :)
    By the way, I need to find me some of those gifflar you are talking about...or find a copycat recipe to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could totally find a copycat recipe for them! I would love to see it :) The dough is thinner than cinnamon rolls usually are, and way more filling! Mmmm...
      Ha! I wish I grew up using chopsticks, did you use them for rice too? I always find that a struggle.... Haha :P I remember my first chopstick experience was then I was.... 20? Such a challenge! When I'm out for sushi though, I always use chopsticks, skills have improved :D x

      Delete