Tuesday 18 December 2012

Jødekaker - Jew's Biscuits

First of all, I found some of the biggest red apples I have ever seen in our local fruit and vegetable shop! Take a look at this....


Secondly -

My fifth out of seven kinds of christmas biscuits! These go by different names, but I will use the one that I found in my grandmother's recipe book. Now, I don't know the story behind them, I just remember them from my childhood. Easy to make, really quick as soon as the dough has been left to cool for a little while, and sweet on the tongue. These are crumblicious!

PS. Icing is essential!

Jødekaker
(Makes about 46, 55 calories each without icing)



1 egg medium
125 g sugar
175 g butter (I used Flora), melted and slightly cooled
300 g plain flour
1 lemon, zest
1 tsp horn salt

Icing sugar, a few drops of water and a few drops of lemon juice for icing.

-First, whip the egg and sugar together until light and airy.

- Then add the remaining ingredients, and stir well to combine. Use a wooden spoon and combine it so you get a sticky, but nice golden dough. Place in the fridge for at least half an hour. I let it sit overnight.

- Preheat the oven to about 200°C

- Roll out half of the dough at a time, until it's about 2-3 mm flat. Use a medium sized glass and cut out circles. Place on a tray with baking paper. These only rise and don't spread out, so you only need a bit of space between them.

- Place them in the middle of the oven for 5-10 minutes. The biscuits should still be pale, but have a slight golden colour around the edges. Leave on a rack to cool.

- Once they're cool, mix icing sugar, and a few drops each of water and lemon juice. The icing should be a lttle thick, as that helps it dry quicker and prevents it from going all runny.

Enjoy!

Original source:
My dear Grandmother Evelyn, whose birthday would have been today. The bestest mormor there was and will ever be!

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment