Monday 26 November 2012

Apple & Cranberry Chutney

I few weeks ago, I tried to make spiced jelly jam for toasts and other such things, but I failed... And ended up with some Wintery syrup and so I couldn't really post it up, now could I? Naaaaah

On Saturday though, close to payday and lacking things to do, I decided to try and make some chutney! I have only ever had chutney once before, at a tearoom in Glasgow called the Butterfly and Pig, and I remembered it to have quite...an interesting flavour. Oatcakes with sweet chutney and tangy cheese was a mix of flavours I wasn't used to. I liked it though, and so I decided that I would make some that I could give away as sort of small tokens of appreciation now when we're getting closer to christmas.

It turned out quite nicely actually, if not even remotely close to the photo on the website I found the recipe on. But hey! Give it a go, and see what you think! I've already had a friend telling me that it's good - surely a step in the right direction?

Apple & Cranberry Chutney
(Makes approximately 5 small jars a 230 g/6 oz, I halved the original recipe)


750 g apples, peeled and diced
220 g onions, chopped
25 g root ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp black peppercorns
250 g sugar
125 ml cider vinegar
250 g dried cranberries (I didn't have enough, but will make sure I do next time for some extra cranberry-ness!)

- Have all the ingredients except from the cranberries, in a large pan. Gently heat it up and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer uncovered for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.

- By now, the onion and apple will be tender and fall apart, and the mixture should have thickened and none of the watery juice remains.

- Then, add the cranberries and cook for a further 10 minutes, keep stirring gently.

- Spoon chutney over in jars and seal. In order to do this, pre-heat the oven to about 100-150°C. Quickly rinse the jars with soapy water, and place them without the lids into the oven to dry. Don't worry, you will still have time to do this before the chutney cools down.
Whilst the jars are just about dry, transfer the chutney onto the jars and tighten the lid firmly. When it cools, the heat on the inside will create a vacuum as it's cooling, and the jar will seal itself!

Store the jars in a cool dark place. The chutney can keep for up to 6 months. Once it's opened though, make sure to put it in the fridge and eat within a couple of weeks-a month.

If you're giving them away, why not tie a ribbon around it, with a little card?

Serve with oatcakes and cheese, or on toast. This chutney is even so sweet you can probably serve it on pancakes as well - mmmm!

Original source:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8028/apple-and-cranberry-chutney

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment