Wherever I turn, there are people sniffling here and coughing there, and I thought I'd post up a really simple and very tasty soup recipe! Thought carrots were boring? Think again! Especially if you have extra spicy chilli flakes, like the ones I used - hawt!
Spicy Carrot & Cumin Soup
(Serves 2, 180 calories each - it can serve four as a starter in small bowls)
5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
A small pinch of chilli flakes or chilli powder
2 tsp soft brown sugar
500 ml - 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock (depending on how thick you like the soup, start off with 500 ml)
1 bunch coriander chopped (optional)
(Low fat crème fraîche to serve)
- Heat a medium sized saucepan, and chuck in the cumin, sizzle for a couple of minutes so it releases some extra flavour.
- Pour in the oil along with the chopped onion, and soften for a few minutes before adding chilli.
- Now, add the sugar, carrots and stock and let it boil until the carrots are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Take the pan off the hob and whizz it smooth with a stick blender, add more water for a thinner soup, I think I almost ended up using a full litre of stock.
- Return pan to the hob, and season with salt and pepper to taste. add a dollop of crème fraîche if you want, and serve with some lovely crusty bread.
Let the Winter commence!