Sunday, 29 June 2014

Improvised Coconut Cauliflower Soup

Cauliflower - that's a great idea, I'll get that! Was what I thought to myself the other day as I scurried about the shop the other day. This would either turn to soup or baked curry cauliflower.
I went for the first and safest bet, using some light coconut milk I had in the cupboard that I wanted to try to make it extra creamy -100% vegan, for those of you who are, but you can also top it with various other things. I had some bacon that had to be used, and it went really well with it! I can imagine chopped, roasted and lightly salted nuts or some grated cheese on top with be lovely too though!

PS that sprinkle on top is flaxseed! but it tasted a little wrong, so for my second helping I left it out. Some chives would be much better for garnish!

Improvised Coconut Cauliflower Soup
(Serves 3-4)


400ml light coconut milk
200-300ml water
2-3 tbsp vegetable stock
1 tsp peppercorns
1 small leek, chopped (or one big onion)
1 cauliflower head, cut into little florets
Salt to taste

Good bread for dipping and mopping!

Toppings such as chopped, salted nuts, grated cheese, or crispy bacon
Good crusty bread to serve

- Simply start by heating up the coconut milk and water in a large pan. Bring to a simmer and add the stock, pepper, leek and cauliflower. Cover and leave for about 10-15 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.

- Use a stick blender and whizz until smooth. Season to taste and top with whatever you want and serve with some good bread for mopping. Enjoy!

Oh, and should you happen to be a carnoviore or an omnivore like myself, and have a few bacon rashers that need used, now's the time! I know you get vegetarian bacon as well, so the same applies here *smiles*

What's your favourite way of preparing cauliflower? Any good recipe ideas for me?

- Jules

4 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful! How cool that you improvised a dish, I could never do that (I'm not a cook). :D Creamy soups are my fav. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could have improvised many cakes, but with cooking, it's a little easier, because it's less science involved I suppose, just a dash of this and a pinch of that! Thank you June :) Got a favourite soup recipe? I'm looking for inspiraaation!
      PS. the chocolate peanut butter swirl bread you posted up looked absolutely fantastic! x

      Delete
  2. Ah, SUPPE♥ Det er min favoritt varm-mat og spises ofte i de kalde månedene. Nå som det er sommer spiser jeg det sjeldent, men jeg gleder meg til suppe-cravingen kommer igjen- det er så godt!
    Denne høres nydelig ut, med kokosmelk og alt ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk frøken! Denne var kjempegod altså :) Er ikke så hissig på suppe nå i sommer månedene jeg heller, men av og til kan det være godt utpå kvelden eller til lunsj :) Kokosmelk gir så god smak på maten, for ikke og snakke om hvor godt det er for kroppen! Håper du har en finfin onsdag ^ ^ x

      Delete