Sunday, 4 August 2013

South Beach Puffin Muffins

Hello! After nearly three weeks of not having posted anything, I have returned from the mighty shores of Norway!

Many a mountain has been climbed (or....walked) and I finally got to go fishing! I have been craving that for a couple of years now. I have hardly gotten to make any food myself whilst being away, and so now I am ready for a comeback!

Yesterday, I tried to make these "South Beach Muffins" BUT they raised and as soon as I took them out of the oven, they collapsed and looked like...well, nothing really! Today, I decided to make a few changes, and they puffed up more than I ever would have imagined, and here you have it! I would consider sprinkling something on top of them though, as the top was a little bit dry. Next time I will try and have some sukrin gold on top before placing them in the oven, I would imagine a little agave syrup would be lovely too!

I am not following the South Beach diet, but when I saw the amount of cinnamon in these bad boys, I couldn't help but to try it out!

South Beach Puffin Muffins
(Makes 3, about 52 calories each, 155 for all three!)


1 egg + 1 egg white
2 tsp fat free natural yogurt
15g flaxseeds
1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
2-3 tsp sukrin gold (Or other natural sweetner such as stevia)
A pinch of bicarbonate of soda
A pinch of baking powder
1-2 tsp psyllium husk (optional, but recommended)
Sukrin gold or syrup for the topping to prevent it from going dry

- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.

- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl, before dividing between 3 muffin cases. I used silicone moulds to prevent them from sticking. You could probably divide it into four cases if you follow the recipe exactly, as they will rise quite a bit!

- Place them in the middle of the oven an bake for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with a little icing sugar or just eat them as they are!


Also, my colleague went to the States on a road trip a few weeks back, and she brought me back some organic goodies! (She knows me well *smiles*) Odwalla bars! I had never tried them before, but tried the orange and cranberry one yesterday after an almost 6k - trying to get back on track after the holidays!


They do contain quite a bit of sugar, but after a session in the gym, your blood sugar levels needs a boost, and here you get it in a healthy bit of cereal bar, and it was really filling too!

Aaaaand when I went to Norway, I ended up stocking up on the most random of things, my dad shook his head and laughed at me as I battled the suitcase, forcing it to shut. In my defense though, I had brought a smaller suitcase than I usually do. Let's try and see if I can make it all out here:


Apricot and blueberry porridge oat porridge packs, reduced fat almond flour, fiberfin - a flour substitute free from gluten, perfect in baking! Milk chocolate a la Norway, a small wooden chopping board as well as a folder, a fancy "punk" mug that my auntie got me, a New Energy bar (used to be my favourite when I was younger!) garlic dressing (my boyfriend said he would eat salad every day if he could have some of that stuff on it! Hama beads and shapes (see the little charmander to the right? So much fun to make!), three DVDs, bachelor style "go-to" spice Piffi seasoning, three DVDs, a multicolour pen, felt tip pens (Søstrene Grenes is a genius shop, and so cheap!), mini muffin silicone moulds, Sport + cracker bread, cracher bread rich in fiber, mackerel in tomato sauce, tea filter, the tiniest tooth floss I have ever seen, calcium tablets, Karin Park CD (I'm more of a rock/indie girl, but sometimes some dance beats can be good too!) Nestea with lemon for my Dolce Gusto coffee machine, decaffeinated lungo coffee, aspic jelly powder to make savoury jelly with prawns and cooked vegetables (Way better than it sounds, served on wholemeal bread topped with mayonnaise or "remoulade") and fiiiiiiinally - a Canon Ixus HSS! I needed a new small digital camera to carry around, the one I already had really isn't much to brag about. My super camera was not replaced though!

I will probably try and put together a little post about how my trip to Norway went, but for now....I guess this will have to do! I hope you're having a great weekend!

Original source:
http://www.food.com/recipe/south-beach-muffin-263983

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment