Saturday, 16 February 2013

Chickpea & Mushroom Burgers with Tahini Sauce

Once again I've actually gotten around to using my cookbooks, and it has been totally worth it!

I decided to make this vegan dish the other day. These scrumptious burgers are perfect as part of a main course or just if you're wanting a snack! I found myself in the latter category and thus I only served it with a little bit of lemon juice and tahini. So far I have made them twice already!

The mixture can be a little bit tricky to work with - so to make it easier to flip them, I would suggest perhaps consider making smaller burgers (means there will be more of them, perfect for nibbles!)

Chickpea & Mushroom Burgers with Tahini Sauce
(Makes 5 - about 90 calories each, without the tahini)



2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
400 g can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
a handful of preferably wild mushrooms (I used chestnut mushrooms), roughly torn
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tbsp flour
Salt and pepper, about 1 tsp each

For the sauce:
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp tahini (I used the light one)
Juice of 1/4 lemon

- Heat a little bit of oil in a frying pan and sweat the onion and garlic for a few minutes until they've soften a little bit.

- Tip the onions in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients for the burgers except the remaining olive oil. Pulse in a food processor or with a stick blender until you have a mixture the consistency of breadcrumbs (because I used a stick blender, it turned out like a sticky paste instead). Use your hands and shape them into burgers.

- Heat the rest of the oil in a pan on medium high heat and fry the burgers until golden and lightly crisp.

- To serve, mix together the ingredients for the tahini sauce, and have it in a little bowl next to them.

You can serve these with the sauce, in a tortilla wrap, in a burger bun, or as part of a salad - basically for anything! They taste delicious with a bit of melted cheese too, or barbeque sauce, mmmm!

Original source:
Sophie Dahl's "From Season to Season" p. 48-49

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment