Saturday, 8 September 2012

Huevos Diablos (Devil's Eggs)

Breakfast is served!

So I found this recipe on a blog I came across, packed with handy recipes! I took a note of a couple of them and here is one of the dishes. I haven't made a lot of beakfast dishes, and thought I should take the time to change it.
Intrigued by poached eggs in a spicy tomato- and vegetable sauce? Well yes!

When I started making the vegetable mix, I thought to myself that this was going to end miserably, like a pile of slop, BUT I was wrong, thankfully. The mixture sets a bit around the eggs, which makes is possible to actually place them on a slice of bread, a potato scone or whatever might take your fancy! The rest makes for a good sauce that can be poured over and around it all, mmmm! I had mine on its own, whilst I served the other one on Irish potato farls, with a couple of sausages on the side

Huevos Diablos
(Serves 3 - with three eggs, 180 calories each)


1 tbsp oil
1 onion, small, finely chopped
1 courgette, finely diced
1 red pepper, sliced thinly
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt & pepper, about 1 tsp each
400 g chopped tomatoes
3 eggs

- Heat oil in pan and saute all the vegetables except from the chopped tomatoes, along with the spices. Let this simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.

- Add the tomatoes, and cook for a further 5-10 minutes. Then mash the mixture as best you can with a masher.

- Make hollows in the mixture, and crack eggs into them. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, until the eggs are cooked, but still a little bit runny on the inside.

Serve on toast, potato scones or other such goodies, and indulge!

Original source
http://witcheskitchen.com.au/the-breakfast-challenge-huevos-diablos-devils-eggs/

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment