Monday, 30 July 2012

Banana & Blueberry Oat Pancakes

During the weekend that sadly just passed us, I thought I would try out a breakfast recipe, as I don't really do that a whole lot. Usually the fanciest type of breakfast I have is some oat porridge, which I have become a big fan of since moving to the UK.

I had a look at some blogs, and found a recipe for Banana "Oatcakes", which turn out to be pancakes only mainly made with rolled oats instead of flour. Trying to eat as little flour products as possible, treating myself once or twice a week, I thought this sounded like something that could be right up my street, and decided to give it a try.

Here is the link to the original recipe, followed by my own version with a tiny tweak here and there:

http://witcheskitchen.com.au/the-breakfast-cereal-challenge-banana-oatcakes/

Banana & Blueberry Oat Pancakes
(Makes about five large pancakes, 160 cals each)

....Hopefully, two of those should have the potential to be placed like so:


Half a cup of rolled oats (I used fine oats)
1 tbsp wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
Half a cup of milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 banana, mashed
125g blueberries
1 tbsp sunflower oil

- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl

- Make a well in the mix and stir in the milk, eggs and mashed banana. Make sure everything is well combined before finally stirring in the blueberries, making sure not to end up with a purple mosh. Come to think of it...maybe that wouldn't be so bad actually! It's up to you!

- Heat the the oil in a small-ish, hot frying pan (mark 4 out of 6 heat-wise), the size that would fit a crèpe. Also, make sure it is non-stick, as my first pancake ended up in the bin - R.I.P Pancake.

- Then, take almost a ladle-full of the batter and pour in the frying pan, swirl it around so it covers the whole bottom of the frying pan. Leave it to cook until you can see it's setting at the top. Now, use a spatula, or any other kitchen utensil that is capable of flippin' a pancake, and fold it over so you have a half-moon shaped pancake. Press it down a little with the spatula and transfer to a plate - or enjoy straight from the pan to save you some cleaning... and if you're not serving people (the bonus of it being a breakfast thing!) Also, if the pan gets a little dry after having made one or two pancakes, just add a smidge more of the sunflower oil - sorted!


Enjoy!

-Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment